Digital Content Editor
At Pearson, we’re committed to a world that’s always learning and to our talented team who makes it all possible. From bringing lectures vividly to life to turning textbooks into laptop lessons, we are always re-examining the way people learn best, whether it’s one child in our own backyard or an education community across the globe.
We are bold thinkers and standout innovators who motivate each other to explore new frontiers in an environment that supports and inspires us to always be better. By pushing the boundaries of technology — and each other to surpass these boundaries — we create seeds of learning that become the catalyst for the world’s innovations, personal and global, large and small.
The Cross Media Publishing Services Division is currently recruiting for Digital Content Editor. This position will be based out of the Don Mills Office.
The Digital Content Editor is responsible for developing and managing assigned editorial programs and ensuring the goals are met in accordance with established program guidelines for the team. The Digital Content Editor is accountable for contributing to the success of stated business goals of the team which assumes they possess exceptional organizational skills, are detail-oriented, and have a strong ability to multi-task.
- Project Initiation
- Guide and instruct authors in preparation of content. Assist in planning author meetings as required.
- Create and maintain detailed program schedules, in collaboration with other team members.
- Manage and coordinate online workflow. Provide assistance to authors and help problem solve if issues arise.
- In consultation with the author and Ac Ed/Product Owner, finalize the development plan.
- Assist in the assessment of proposal and writing samples.
- Assess sample content and produce appropriate editorial feedback.
- Monitor and ensure all program components (print and digital) are developed within specified budgets, and budgeted specifications (e.g. length/extent) of the program. Ensure rights and permissions have been properly secured for all 3rd part content.
- Ensure program components comply with acceptance criteria and guidelines.
- Work with field/marketing to ensure marketing materials are accurate and complete.
- Prepare acceptable content for launch according to production requirements.
- Prepare a comprehensive Project Plan/blueprint for downstream team members.
- Schedule and coordinate all meetings related to launch of content into production.
- Develop all components of the program, including ancillary components as required and within the overall scope of the program.
- Anticipate and plan for key integrations between various components of the program and across various modes of delivery.
- Prepare guidelines for review and questionnaires for survey respondents as required.
- Participate in preparing and conducting focus groups as needed.
- Participate in Efficacy initiatives as required.
- Analyze feedback and market development data as required.
- Provide feedback to author, highlighting critical recommendations.
- Managing Freelance staff
- Coordinate freelance media developers and SMEs in the efficient and proper preparation of quality, accurate content, as required, on schedule and within budget.
- Hire and coordinate freelancers for tech checks and edits.
- Maintain editorial standards, ensure adherence to instructional design, author guidelines and house style to ensure adherence to editorial best practices
- Maintain familiarity with trends across Canada regarding accessibility.
- Ensure QA is accounted for on a project-by-project basis.
- Submit regular reports on program and component status, monthly timesheets, and other non-project documents as requested.
- Attend departmental and other meetings.
- Attend in-house training, as required.
- Completion of a university degree
- Completion of a publishing certificate or post-graduate degree/diploma is an asset.
- Minimum of two years of previous content development and editing experience in publishing and/or related field
- Two years of in-house educational publishing experience
- Experience in developing e-learning programs or designing content for educational technology is preferred.
- Previous experience in delivering solutions through technology is preferred.
- Instructional Design experience is an asset.
- Previous Project Management experience is an asset.
- High comfort level with learning various technologies, including web applications, content management systems, spreadsheets, Acrobat and SMART Notebook software
- Excellent verbal, written and communication skills to build and maintain relationships
- Proficient with computers; including Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, Explorer and Adobe Acrobat
- Adaptable problem-solver and team player who enjoys working in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent analytical and project management skills
- Editorial skills, including basic copy editing and substantive editing
- Understanding of full program life cycle from concept to product delivery
- Ability to work independently
- Familiarity with HTML, Flash, XML, PDF, audio and video an asset
Candidates are asked to submit a résumé and cover letter by August 4, 2014 to:
Please indicate name and position applied for in the subject line.We would like to thank all those who inquire or apply. Only those under consideration will be contacted.